Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
David314
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,611
Like?
not odd at all
In reply to jfriend00, 5 months ago

David314 wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

Now, we know that Nikon can make 8fps mirrors at an economical price because they did it before in the D300 (DX) and the D700 (FX). We don't actually know the max speed that the D800 mirror could go, but I'd say it's unlikely that it's been designed and tested to 8fps when no specification of the current camera requires that.

I'm not holding my breath thinking that it's feasible to make the D800 go 8fps with a firmware upgrade. I think they would need a faster mirror, an EXPEED 4 processing chip and probably some other internal circuitry that could go faster.

-- hide signature --

one day I got out the ole video recorder and recocrded the d300 and d800 shooting at max speed

from the sound profiles, the mirror and shutter timings are identical and the d800 wasn't going as fast as specced for fps

Based on that I believe higher fps is possible from the mirror shutter

i think the real, limitation is how fast dats can be converted with the column d2a

that would explain why the d800 onlu scales from 4 to 5 fps in 1.2 crop and only 6'fps in dx mode

mow the question I would have, is it possible to provide a high speed 12 bit mode like the d300?

From this you conclude the D800 mirror can go 8fps when all you've ever seen it go is 6fps? What an odd conclusion.

I'd agree that the ability to process 36MP image captures is one thing holding the full sensor processing to 4fps.  Part of the issue is the EXPEED 3 and it's ability to process these large images and some think that the sensor read-out architecture is also a limiting factor.  Good luck getting all those fixed with a firmware upgrade.

-- hide signature --

my conclusion is that the mirror is not the limitation of fps on the D800 based on the fact it is moving out of the way as fast as the D300 at 8 fps.

why is that odd?

expeed 3 can obviously proces DX crop in the D800 at 9 fps,

again, i think the limitation is getting the data converted in 14 bits AND keeping the read/thermal noise low

I wonder why Nikon didn't let the D800 go to at least 8 fps in DX mode, let me repeat DX mode, at 12 bits

i do NOT expect any firmware upgrade from Nikon,

With the current strategy from Nikon, one might was well wish for a flying pony because that is more likely to happen than a real performance firmware upgrade.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow