ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dperez
Regular MemberPosts: 235
Like?
Nikon 500/f4 Not Sharp at a distance?
10 months ago

I have an odd thing occurring...

D300, Nikon 500/f4.  Also have a TC1.4X and TC-20E III 2X.  Gitzo 3540 with Manfrotto gimbal mount.

At "closer" distances everything has always been sharp with the 500. I can set up and photograph hummingbirds at 20 feet and things are fine.  I can photograph larger birds at 30-40 feet, again fine.  With the 1.4 on, I can shoot from 20-100 feet or so, and again, fine.

BUT, at SOME point farther away, things are not sharp.  I always presumed it was either my technique, or the D300 just wasn't getting the focus quite right when the subject was far away.  I have images with this combination that show a distance of 50 meters, and they're sharp.

I recently bought a D800, and put the 500/f4 on it.  Again, at 20 feet, 20 meters, even 30 meters, its very sharp, with or without the 1.4X.  But, shooting at a longer distance (unfortunately, I didn't keep any of the really bad images, so I'm not sure exactly how long), things are not sharp with the D800 either.

I"ll do more testing, but I just thought I'd see if this is a situation others have seen - sharp closers, less sharp as the distance to the subject gets long?

Nikon D300 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow