Forum ProPosts: 30,841
Like?
Re: CP+ Rumor Roundup.....
In reply to sgtsween, 8 months ago

sgtsween wrote:

jim yeats wrote:

sgtsween wrote:

Rod McD wrote:

And what about Ricoh badged products?? We've seen the shots of the Pentax compacts re-badged as Ricohs, but perhaps there will be forthcoming new and higher grade Ricoh cameras? They appear to have ceased production of the GRX, leaving only the fixed lens APSC GR compact. I'm wondering if we'll see some kind of mirror-less GRX or K01 replacements under the Ricoh badge.

Rod

If they were to release a Pentax badged K-01 replacement, I'd be excited. It it was re-badged as Ricoh, that's when I would start walking away and Fuji (XT-1) or Sony (A7) would start getting my money.

Why would you do that?

This is what I posted on the topic in another forum:

I would argue that branding is extrememly important to a lot of people, and brand identity coupled with what individual brands mean to consumers is not trivial at all. Look at the auto industry. When GM owned Saab, so you think that lifelong Saab owners who had a lot invested in the brand and had grown an emotional attachment to it would've been happy if the Saab badge came off and a GM badge went on? Doesn't matter as it still has an engine an wheels! But it does matter. Or if when Ford owned Jaguar they release a Ford XJ6? Jaguar lovers would've lost their minds. Let's imagine for a second that Ferrari fell into financial trouble and was saved by Daihatsu. A Daihatsu 458 Italia would probabably be widely criticized (i.e. Ferrari lovers would lose their ****ing minds.) And so it goes in the camera world for many people.

This is how I feel. It wouldn't be a slight against Ricoh at all. The change would just remove one more reason to stick with the brand. To be fair, I have been on the fence as the XT-1 is so temtping, but I'm sticking around as I love Pentax for many different reasons. Re-badge to Ricoh would simply leave a bad enough taste in my mouth that I'd probably jump ship. That's just me, though.

I think that people who truly know what is important in life don't let a simple badge define them... unfortunately the vast majority of people buy into branding and thats what makes modern marketing work! My Pentax could have any name on it, but that wouldn't change it from being the best dang camera for me! I didn't buy into Pentax because it was Pentax but because they made a camera that had all the features i was looking for at the time!

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
CaneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow