Direct comparison Oly 12-40mmF2.8 with Oly 12-50mmF3.5-6.3?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,398
Like?
Re: Oly 12-40mmF2.8 is on its way
In reply to Sierra Dave, 7 months ago

Sierra Dave wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

The lens is on its way to me.

A couple of upcoming photo opportunities made it worthwhile to go ahead and purchase it.

Once it arrives, I will of course put it through its paces in real life use.

And if I feel like it, I may even do my own little non-scientific test, shooting images of my bookcase full of colours and small letters on spines, and with something else in front of it (for DOF). I would probably make test shots with ZD12-60on E-5 and µFT12-50 and µFT12-40 both on E-M5, at focal lengths 12, 25 and 40, and several apertures : wide open, F4, F5.6 and F8.

Congratulations! Don't be too surprised if your 12-60 and 12-50 end up gathering dust in a drawer.

As long as I will keep using my E-5 and E-3, the ZD12-60 will be a workhorse that wlll see lots of use.  It had broken down last summer and I still had it repaired because even with a possible 12-40 on the horizon, I could hardly imagine my FT setup without it.

The 12-50 may be another case: if the 12-40 really outperforms it in every way except reach, then indeed it may become less used (like my ZD14-54, that became my backup lens and still saw use during the extended period in which the ZD12-60 was out for repair).

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow