choosing between X-T1 and Sony A7

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
John M Roberts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,478
Like?
Re: choosing between X-T1 and Sony A7
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 6 months ago

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

I have XE1 and A7r. Why? Do I need both - no. But I had a D800e and XE1. The XE1 took over quickly as its so handy with the smaller size.

When the Sony A7r came out I thought this was perfect for me. A D800e but small like my beloved XE1. Its worked out pretty well and it has replaced my D800e. IQ is much the same with minor preferences one way and the other. But A7r matches the D800e in the important areas. IQ is similar. I prefer the Sony colour to the D800e and prefer the Sony white balance engine. Less fiddle with the Sony compared to the D800e and can be a sophisticated semi pro camera or pretty much a high end point and shoot with intelligent auto. Not so with the D800e where I would constantly adjust everything to get it right to get the shot. I found that a bit tiresome. Sony has a bit more contrast and detail but seems a little noisier as a price. D800e was a bit cleaner and a bit more neutral and slightly less contrast but it really is simply the engineers tastes here.

XE1 is a classic camera and has definitely served me well. So well that I can see another Fuji X camera in my future. I was set on XT1. But I am now starting to get cold feet with the reality setting in its the same as the XE1 with faster AF and a better EVF and faster processor and IQ will be almost identical. XPro 2 is likely to be a huge step up. I probably will still get XT1 but I guess I have to keep in mind it will most likely plummet in value when XPro 2 is announced and I will want Xpro 2 over the XT1. So it could be very transient in that regard.

Greg.

Thanks for sharing your view and experience. I see you appreciate the smaller and lighter option enough so to moving away from the D800e. I'm curious as to what lenses you are using with the Sony, being FF do the lenses negate that advantage somewhat? The Fuji really does the trick for me as far as size, weight and compactness. Just the function gives me frustration. The X-T1 being weatherized pleases me but no lenses yet to complement that. For that reason and hearing what you expressed and what you own, I'd wait and skip that one unless the lenses appear shortly.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow