Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Richard Murdey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,384Gear list
Like?
Nikon D600, D610 : the enthusiasm gap
6 months ago

D600 prices are now at "offer I can't refuse" territory, I guess I'm going to pick one up and see what can be done with it vs. my trusty D200.

I've done my homework and I'm looking forward to the perks of modern dSLR, from 14 bit NEF to 24 MP to the Picture Control color management system. I also know I'll give up 1/8000s, 1/250s sync, sync port, and 10 pin port, as well as the AF-on button, meter switch, dedicated WB, ISO and QUAL button cluster on the top plate.

My dirty little secret though: I never actually used any of that stuff. Well of course I used the WB and ISO controls ... but my feeling on seeing them moved down to the buttons next to the rear LCD is ... ambivalence. And features like the multiple settings banks or being able to set the AF mode from a rotary switch on the back was just clutter (I could never remember what those different dynamic tracking focus modes were going to do anyway).

All-in-all looking through the manual Nikon have done a great job with the D600 in the necessary duty of cutting off features that are important to people who might potentially buy a D800 but leaving all the other stuff in. The lighter weight and longer eyepoint are little bonuses.

The basic problem I have with the D6x0 is it is a miserable camera. It's a black, plasticky box with round buttons all over it. There is not one touch of luxury, nothing nice. It is perfectly functional, and meets its pay grade, just. There is nothing wrong with the design, but no joy to using the camera as an object, either.

Well, nothing wrong with a utilitarian camera that gets the job done. That's clearly Nikon's view here and I respect that, but that won't help warm me to the D600.

Richard Murdey's gear list:Richard Murdey's gear list
Nikon D40 Pentax K10D Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +6 more
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow