Where have all the Focal-reducers gone? (with apologies)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 19,207
Like?
Re: I'd still buy one if they'd make it...
In reply to zackiedawg, 10 months ago

zackiedawg wrote:

I am interested - I like APS-C and am happy sticking with it, but can see some advantages to the Speed Booster type devices when it comes to the fast primes...not only the gain in 1 stop of aperture, but the fact that wide APS-C primes are impossible to find or very expensive, while 40-50mm types are a dime a dozen, and would be just the right focal length in a full frame.

However, they don't make them in the mounts I need. I could pick up a Pentax one, but I'd much prefer to get one in Konica K/AR mount, or in Leica M mount.

The LM mount is much more difficult as there is simply no room for the lens elements inthe adapter length.

It might be possible to use the same inside space that the rear protruding RF lenses used - like the biogon bulb type.  However these lenses already don't fit almost all mirrorless cameras as the electronic contacts and light baffles get in the way.  The only cameras in aps-c that might work are the M8 and the Rioch GXR mount module which are designed to the internal LM design as well as the more usual "thing" of simply providing a tube and mount flanges.  In these cases by my rudimentary calculations it might just be possible to squeeze a focal reducer for LM into a rear protruding tube inside the camera.  Even if this were done it might be hard to find enough market to make it worth while to make such an adapter.  Presumably it wold have to be marketed to Ricoh GXR users only as Leica owners are unlikely to be interested and the Ricoh "crazy good" Mode 2 focus peaking that makes manual focus lenses so appealing is not available on the M8.

If I am correct the Konica K/AR mont is even a shorter flange focal length than FD and it seems that squeezing the elements into the FD was a problem.  Perhaps they could take the potential LM approach and protrude the lens elements inside the camera body but in the general run of the mill mirrorless lens cavity that might be a problem in itself.

Maybe with full frame mirrorless now on the market, they'll stop producing different mounts of these focal reducers, and I'm out of luck - or maybe they'll lower the prices and venture into many other mounts which would open them up to more people...time will tell.

Well there is one FF mirrorless (type) and perhaps after an upgrade to the aps-c mirrorless they will be recognised much the  same as the as-c/FF dslr bodies are recognised in their market.  So much hoopla but the market buys on price coupled with good-enough in the end.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow