Are there any serious users of MF lenses on this forum?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,254Gear list
Like?
Re: Focal reducers and focus peaking assist
In reply to jeffharris, 10 months ago

jeffharris wrote:

G1Houston wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

There is no real reason why the FD 50mm f1.4 should not take great images. One of the things

These old 50 mm lenses were designed as a cheap all purpose kit lens back in the SLR days. Compared to their modern counter parts, such as those native m4/3 lenses, the old ones are usually prone to flare, soft wide open, and have harsh bokeh.

Check out the Pentax 50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar. It's an absolutely gorgeous lens, not dirt cheap, but even 40+ years later an excellent performer… even wide open! I've heard that it's a near-legendary lens.

I have many Nikon 50 mm lenses and I bought an Olympus OM 50/1.4 in mint conditions due to its softer bokeh, to be used on the GH1.  I saw many testimonial images from the Pentax lens and I don't think there is any dramatic difference between that and those MF lenses that I once owned.  None came near to the performance of the Panasonic 45/2.8, which I finally bought to use for video b/c it has OIS, which none of the MF lens has if you plan to use Panasonic cameras.  After it was stolen, I replaced it with the Olympus 45/1.8 b/c so many people here worship that lens.  However from my own experience, I much prefer the rendering of the 45/2.8.

Again, if you have these MF lenses already, it is perfectly fine to use them.  However if you don't have any lens, my suggestion is to go with the native versions as they are much better on average.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow