Newbie gear question 2300 budget.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
John Deerfield
Senior MemberPosts: 2,123
Like?
Re: An alternative?
In reply to ragmanjin, 8 months ago

Thanks Raj however, the only alternative i would consider right now to a Canon or Nikon system is a mirrorless system like the Fuji X, Olyumpus or Sony A7.

For my own curiosity, may I ask why that is?

I don't know about the OP, but I will let you know why I suggest sticking with Canon or Nikon. At some point in the decision making process, you simply need to consider less options, not more. The more you consider, the more confusing it will be. Almost every camera has something of merit.

With Canon/Nikon, you have the most peer-to-peer support. This includes (but not limited too) potentially saving money buying used gear. I have been teaching a basic camera class for over 10-years. In all of those years, in terms of DSLR's, I have had countless Nikon or Canon cameras. I have had two Sony DSLRs and a total of zero Pentax cameras. And it never fails, class participants will organize themselves: Canon shooters clump together, Nikon shooters clump together. I often wonder how my two Sony shooters felt.

This is also why there is simply more third party support for Canon and Nikon. One example: choosing a flash. Pentax themselves don't even make a decent middle of the road ($200-$300 flash). Their $200 flash doesn't swivel (it's a common complaint). And even that just goes a bit deeper. Most people wouldn't know why they would want a flash the both bounces and swivels, but when they learn why they need this they are now in a system (Pentax) that doesn't offer anything until the $400. And I am not trying to pick on Pentax. In the Sony system, FEC (flash exposure compensation) is hidden within the camera menu. What sense does that make? Both Canon and Nikon put it on the flash itself… which seems like a no-brainer to me. In other words, you aren't going to outgrow a Canon or Nikon system. Or at least you are less likely to outgrow them.

Now, if someone has a specific reason to choose say Sony, or Pentax, or whatever, then great. You know what you need. But for the vast majority, it is simply smarter to stay with Canon or Nikon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow