Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chrisk98
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Sensor performance, quantum efficiency, sensorgen and DXOmark
9 months ago

Nearly 4 years ago I presented here a way to estimate the quantum efficiency of camera sensors by analizing SNR data from DXOmark. Since than many new cameras were tested by DXO and even a website called sensorgen is providing QE data (besides other sensor parameters). This is a nice way to public the true sensor parameters rather than just the high-level SNR data like DXOmark. The only point is that the calculation of QE is based on several assumption which IMO is not adequate mentioned by sensorgen. Therefore, I have summarized the theory behind and provided also some new results with focus on low light performance. The paper can be found here.

The QE results are also shown in the figure below.

The most important assumption is that the individual bayer filter curve is not known for each camera model. If there are differences, and this is probably the case when comparing different brands (e.g. Nikon Vs Canon vs. Sony), this will impact directly the QE results. Therefore, I would only recommend to compare QE results within a brand, which reduces the risk of having different colour filter curves.

This figure is very helpful to select the best camera for low light or astrophotography:

My favourite is the Canon 6D; the flagship Canon 1Dx is slightly better, but much more expensive!

cheers

Chris

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow