Where have all the Focal-reducers gone? (with apologies)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,306
Like?
Re: Forum is always interested in ...
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 5 months ago

Tom Caldwell wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

... the latest and greatest. There was a time when FRs were such, now it's time of A7/r. Who knows what will be tomorrow. Maybe the rumored NEX successor turns out to be so good that everybody starts only talking about it and A7 will be all but forgotten.

On the practical side, I think many people who got a good FR continue using it. I took plenty of shots with LT and in most cases I like the boost in central sharpness and contrast and the character it brings to the lens. I actually prefer a small light NEX-5N with FR to much larger, heavier A7, so much so that I got rid of the later and returned to the former.

-- hide signature --

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter -- Winston Churchill

Yes that is interesting

Remember that ProfHankD put up an article on dpreview comparing the NEX7 24mp aps-c sensor using a focal reducer to give effective FF performance against the A7 with 24mp true FF sensor.

Pixels are the same and image circles are both FF.

That might be surprising, but I found NEX-5N with speed booster to be a better alternative than the A7. When I noticed that after purchasing A7 I still take NEX with me almost always, the decision which camera to keep was easy to make.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow