Does anybody have any experience with the 610 with indoor basketball?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Djouglee
Regular MemberPosts: 342Gear list
Like?
Re: Does anybody have any experience with the 610 with indoor basketball?
In reply to Cutnjump, 10 months ago

Cutnjump wrote:

Basically how well does it focus in that quick action? And how does it compare with the K-5 focusing since you shot Pentax.  How does the ISO compare with the Pentax as well.

Thanks

I liked my pentax K5 and have a soft spot for pentax's beautifully built limited primes.  But for this kind of photography the 610 is clearly superior to the K5 (don't know about the newer K3).  The "in focus" keeper rate of the 610 was easily double what I would have expected with the K5.  Comparing in focus shots from both cameras, I found the detail to be significantly better with the 610.  I would guess that the high iso of the 610 is about 1 stop better than the K5.  Pentax has a number of things going for them, great build quality, ergonomics, small, well built primes, but for this kind of sport photography the K5 lags behind significantly IMO.

Doug

Djouglee's gear list:Djouglee's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow