Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 5,071
Like?
You might be interested in this chart
In reply to yray, 10 months ago

yray wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

In Thom Hogan's D3x review he went into this quite a bit showing how hard it was to meaningfully resolve more than he was getting from the D3.

I took time to reread the portion of the review about resolution (I think many people would benefit from it). If anything, it confirms my experience and impressions that there is less to high resolution than the camera makers want us to believe, while noise and aliasing artifacts can readily masquerade as "amazing" detail.

This chart was taken from here.

When I break this down (I could be wrong and welcome correction) what I come up with is a theoretical maximum of slightly more than 36 MP for a 50mm lens at f/8. Longer focal lengths and wider apertures can resolve more; shorter focal lengths and narrow apertures will resolve less.  Of course, this is theory, in the real world optics and other factors come into play, and additional sampling can have benefits other than mere resolution.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow