Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fuesting
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Proper Way To Shoot Black & White?
8 months ago

I love black & white photography; even more than color. After reading about the Leica Monochrome (and falling in love with the idea) I started to wonder what the "best way" was to shoot B&W. The Monochrome's price is not in the budget for this lifetime so that leads me back to my OM-D E-M1.

With the E-M1, I've started to try to really learn photography, vowing to shoot manual 100% of the time and currently raw+jpeg.  I've purchased Lightroom and figured out a really good work flow (for me) but I'm still not the best with filters or presets.  From what I can tell my options for B&W are as follows:

1. Shoot with an in-camera filter (only jpeg)

2. Shoot RAW and manually convert to B&W using the develop module (Lightroom)

3. Shoot RAW and automagically convert to B&W using some sort of import auto-filter (Lightroom)

4. Buy a different piece of software?  I keep seeing Silver EFX mentioned.

5. Sell kidney, buy Monochrome

I wish there was a way to shoot B&W as a native RAW file, but I guess that's the idea of the Monochrome; unless I'm missing something.

I'm sure this type of question was asked before but I couldn't find anything definitive.

Thanks for your input.

- Jeff

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow