Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
yray
Contributing MemberPosts: 867
Like?
Re: Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...
In reply to Tony Beach, 5 months ago

Tony Beach wrote:

yray wrote:

Bajerunner wrote:

Not really, the big advantage of strong cropping is really reach for wildlife or action, it actually saves money on lenses, with an 80-200 2.8 one can still do a lot if crop ability is there.

...in reality, perfect shots are not common unless you're shooting from a tripod, or in excellent light with very high shutter speeds. There is also any number of threads, user reviews, etc of D800 complaining of inability to take a sharp picture due to mirror slap and such, which forces higher shutter speeds, which forces higher ISO, which cuts into DR and resolution.

My D300 has significantly less mirror slap than my A850, to the point that I often get better resolution from the D300 at equivalent focal lengths (i.e., 200mm on the D300 will resolve more than 280mm on the A850). Obviously the larger mirror on the A850 plays a role here. This is one of the reasons I will go to my D300 instead of my A850 (the other reason is the D300's better AF) for telephoto work.

I've wondered about the D800's mirror slap; I bet the D3x has less due to its larger body. Not only can we expect better performance from a DX camera using the same or greater pixel density than from an FX camera in this regard, but we also get better performance from heavier bodies (smoothness of the mirror dampening also plays a role and I've heard good things about the D7000 in this regard).

As regards D7000, this is something that is hard to prove, but I was occasionally getting some blur at shutter speeds relative to FL where I wouldn't expect it. So, I'm leaning toward using handheld shutter speeds of closer to 3x over FL. I had trouble attributing it all to my trembling hands, particularly since I'm doing much better with both D300 and D700, so it had to be something about the camera itself. I'm using the "Quiet" mode on D7000 now, and, again without any hard proof, my impression is that it does better this way. The D7000 is actually one camera which negatively impacted my attitude to the D800, because some of the complaints I heard about D800 seemed to be reminiscent of some of the D7000 issues, or, at any rate, of my interpretation of those issues.

Many balk when the idea of putting a DX sensor into a D4 body comes up, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the best possible approach to this issue.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow