Workstation choices - high end PC or Mac Pro

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
mike in london
Senior MemberPosts: 1,360Gear list
Like?
Re: Workstation choices - high end PC or Mac Pro
In reply to MtnGoatJoe, 10 months ago

MtnGoatJoe wrote:

Depending on what your wife does with your computer, the answer could be as simple as buying her an iPad.

That said, the Mac Pro is a hell of a machine. You can't really get an "equivilent" windows PC because Apple made design and functionality choices that just don't translate. So, yes, you can buy a VERY fast PC for the same price or cheaper, but the Mac Pro is a workstation class machine. SIX Thunderbolt ports prove the point. The Mac Pro can push three 4K displays, render full-resolution 4K video, and simultaniously render effects in the background. Plus, those six Thinderbolt ports, they can attach external PCI chassis, and they're the fastest external bus money can buy.

Does all that make the Mac Pro better than a PC? Well, that depends. I would say for video editing the answer is yes. For photo editing, a Mac Pro would be nice, but overkill.

So, like I said, maybe the solution is an iPad for the wife or a Mac Mini for you. YMMV.

also dithering as the mac mini is surely due an update soon isnt it? otherwise its my choice (apart from lack of ports)

Mike

-- hide signature --

www.mikecurryphotography.com

mike in london's gear list:mike in london's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow