mike in london
Senior MemberPosts: 1,358Gear list
Like?
Re: Workstation choices - high end PC or Mac Pro
In reply to juvx, 10 months ago

juvx wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

chillzatl wrote:

your options seem pretty clear. Spend more for a computer with less expandability, performance and fewer software options

Yes, you could spend more for a Windows workstation that does not fully match the specifications of the Mac Pro (Xeon CPU(s), PCI-E flash, twin video cards, lots of Thunderbolt 2 ports). But why would you want to do so?

As for the OP, if he wants a Mac-based system, I think he would be best-served with a different Mac, such as an iMac, a quad-core Mac Mini, or even a Mac notebook paired with an external (monitor + keyboard + mouse). In its current configuration, the new Mac Pro looks to be a machine aimed at videographers, researchers, and the like (who need lots of power and can pay for a machine with it) than at still photographers.

Why buy an imac or mac mini when he already has a rMBP thats just as powerful. Just dock it.

Ideally yes but this...

"Not really comfortable just plugging the rMBP in to the monitor as often my wife needs to use the laptop at the same time as I'm using the main computer."

Mike

-- hide signature --

www.mikecurryphotography.com

mike in london's gear list:mike in london's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow