Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hoakin1981
Regular MemberPosts: 268
Like?
35mm film shooting questions
10 months ago

For starters apologies is this new thread is not posted in the correct section but I did not find a more suitable one. As per the subject matter, I am thinking of shooting some 35mm rolls every now and then with an old Pentax K just to go back to the basics and improve my technique overall, but especially my composition skills.

Anyway, will try to keep this short so if anyone can share some insight on the below questions would really appreciate it. However, pls keep in mind the following points before answering:

• The film developing will be done by a photo-shop.
  • No way of doing the above myself for numerous reasons not worth mentioning.
  • The same shop will have to scan the negatives and provide the relevant electronic files.
  • I have no control on the outcome, my only choice is to pick a different shop next time if I don't like the results.
  • I do not have any old negatives to scan. 

So, the questions:

1. Since I plan on converting everything to B&W in the end (will be shooting color film though) how much "room" for PP is there afterwards compared to a digital camera RAW file?
  2. Is it possible if the shop happens to have a super expensive film scanner, to import the negatives in a Raw-type file like a DNG? Meaning to be able to have a different channel per each color like the digital camera does.
  3. Depending on the total cost (developing and scanning) would buying a home scanner be advisable provided I shoot a roll every 2-3 months?
  4. Any feedback from someone who has tried this? Worth doing or don't even bother?

Many thanks in advance

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow