Field Backup Sans Computer

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,978Gear list
Like?
Re: Field Backup Sans Computer
In reply to Jerry Stevens, 10 months ago

Jerry Stevens wrote:

However, the Macbook Air still might be a venue. If I could get a used Air on the cheap and not have any of my regular laptop files on there, then the potential loss of the Air would be loss of my backups, but not my important data and files. Just use for the trip, then perhaps even eBay afterwards. At the right price, that might be the ticket, because that really would be the easiest.

My primary computer (this one) is a 13" MacBook Air with 512 GB of SSD and usb3 ports; even has an SD card reader. I've been an Apple-holic for about ten years.

OTOH -- I recently bought a small (10.1" screen, 91% sized keyboard, Win 8.1, 320 GB HDD, SD card reader, usb3 port) HP laptop for $280 at Amazon for use with my ham radio gear where Windows software is more available than Mac software:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FCK20SI/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Something like that may make sense, and not a big cost either. Not fast nor with lots of memory but works well for my purposes, and maybe yours.

Whatever you do, follow the advice above and use a bunch of smaller cards (16 GB or 8 GB) and save the cards so you have two copies, one on backup device and one on the card.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow