Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
juvx
Contributing MemberPosts: 737Gear list
Like?
Re: Workstation choices - high end PC or Mac Pro
In reply to Tom_N, 8 months ago

Tom_N wrote:

Ron AKA wrote:

I'm not aware of any issues running higher resolution with Windows 8? That should be determined by your graphics card and driver, not Windows.

Mac OS X knows how to use extra pixels on ultra-high-resolution screens for something other than squeezing a bunch of microscopic content onto the screen just to increase desktop workspace size. The operating system does this in a such a way that legacy applications continue to work properly (albeit in pixel-doubling fashion), while Retina-aware applications can draw in increased detail.

Judging by the posts I've seen on these forums, this is something that Windows doesn't know how to do. Whether to play nicely with high-DPI screens is apparently left up to the applications, which implies that in practice, a lot of them aren't going to play nicely at all. Or so it seems from posts.

And no, this isn't just a "graphics card and driver" issue – managing an API transition in a way that supports both forwards and backwards compatibility should be Windows' responsibility.

Windows 8.1 implements it just fine. I use both MacOS and windows 8.1.

You are correct though, its a OS issue and not hardware. Everyone that has windows 8 really should upgrade to 8.1 its free and improved the experience big time.

juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow