Does anybody have any experience with the 610 with indoor basketball?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,348
Like?
Re: Does anybody have any experience with the 610 with indoor basketball?
In reply to Cutnjump, 5 months ago

Hello. I've been shooting HS basketball for the high school in very low light for several years now. I shoot with the 70-200mm f.28 VR (one) on D3s, or on the D600, which I bought recently to test out. I can get away with the D600 because I do not burst that often (too many photos to process after the game). My pros and cons.

You asked about the 85mm lens. Pro. Not much. Con: You don't want to shoot at f1.8 or faster, DOF too shadow. Too limited in its ability to capture more of the court. Yes, I've used it but I also discounted the 85mm f1.8G as the go to lens.

70-200mm f2.8 VR Pro: Zoom flexibility shooting at f2.8. Con: None for me

300mm f2.8 VR Pro: Great lens to use if you want to shoot from the corner of the bleacher. Different perspective and eliminate players interference.

In general, I shoot with the 70-200mm VR on D600 or D3s at ISO 6400 at f2.8 wide open. I prefer the D3s for faster focus and that solid feel, but the D600 does its job in low light if you don't need the burst rate of the D3s.  Here are a couple shots from the D600.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow