Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
sportyaccordy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,187Gear list
Like?
Re: Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...
In reply to ceaiu, 8 months ago

ceaiu wrote:

Combine questions 1 and 7 and we get a mirrorless D300 type of camera.
D7200 may also be one of the last of its kind, if not THE last.
The lack of pro, or even prosumer, DX lenses in the last years could mean a different mount - only for the mirrorless DX though... a mirrorless FX should keep the F-mount.

It would make so much more sense to just make F mount DX lenses. A new APS-C/FX Nikon mount is just a stupid idea, period. The F-Mount is Nikon's greatest asset. Mirrorless F-mounts at the bottom of their lineup is the answer; with EVF as an accessory. Then the high end cameras can retain their OVFs for the forseeable future. I think Nikon would win back a LOT of NEX and MFT users with such a strategy- sure the cameras would be a little bigger because of the deeper lens mount; but then, you have access to that huge library of lenses as well as all of Nikon's volume priced accessories, along with their mega sensors. It's a no brainer.

They also need to plug the gaps in their glass. They desperately need a few fast wide DX lenses. 12 2.8, 17 2.0, 24 2.0. The FX primes are too big and expensive; they could pare down the DX ones.

Only thing I really disagree with is the cell phone thing.  Here's a simple question. Where do you think a product would get more exposure: a camera store or a cell phone store? Just having a brand presence in the cell phone market will be huge for the brand; especially if they make the phones appreciably superior in IQ to the competition, which wouldn't be hard.

Nikon's got a lot of work to do to stay relevant in the long term. They look good now but they are on the tail end of a changing market I think.

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-C3 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow