Lens decision help, Tamron 24-70, Nikon 24-85, 24-120, 16-35

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ne beginner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,008Gear list
Like?
Agree ... I would get the Tamron 28-75 second to the Nikon 24-70 ...
In reply to Westmill, 6 months ago

Westmill wrote:

If you want a good portrait lens that is both good and fast without robbing the bank then get the Tamron 28-75 F2.8

Of all lenses mentioned, for me anyway, the Tamron 28-75 trumps the 24-120 and 24-85 VR's because it's faster, and stopped down to f4 it's sharper.

I'd pass on the Tamron 24-70 because if you're gonna spend that much you might as well go the extra mile and get the Nikon.

It defies logic why Tamron crippled the newer 28-75's by adding in the BIM.  Well, I guess if you figure they wanted to herd people towards their 24-70 VR it kinds makes sense.  It they were smart, they would have updated the 28-75, keeping the same small and light size, improved the AF speed in low light, and maybe taking it to 24 on the wide side.  If that meant ditching the VR, so be it.  Instead, they tried to go head to head with the Nikon 24-70, and ended up with slower focusing beast that offers no real solid benefit over the Nikon except a few hundred dollars in savings.

The 28-75 offers a unique benefit: size and weight, and optics only a few points behind the 24-70 Nikon. The Tamron 24-70 costs 3x, and only offers VR, which many if not most will say is nice but not essential in the FL.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow