Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael J Davis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,457Gear list
Like?
Re: Start a blog, write unbiased reviews
In reply to Henry Richardson, 8 months ago

Henry Richardson wrote:

I read through RW's review. Looks pretty good. He is honest and upfront (right at the very top) that he works for Olympus now. His blog is free. People can read what he writes or not read what he writes. They can give weight to his opinions or not give weight to them. For those who get so upset that someone puts free info and photos out on the internet then there is a very simple solution:

Create your own blog and review stuff very carefully, meticulously, without any hint of any kind of bias, and do it all for free. Creating a blog is easy. Anyone who can manage to post here can do it. It sure sounds like a lot of work to do what RW does though and to do it the way you insist free stuff must be done it will be even harder. Personally, I am anxious to see these new, free, timely, unbiased reviews.

Me too! The difference is that he was some sort of engineer and used his camera and blog as a form of relaxation! He only been taking photographs for some 5-6 years, if I recall correctly.

That gave him true independence, his own Olympus camera. Both Olympus and Sony seemed to allow him to use their gear, and he remained independent. The question isn't is he a good photographer - he is; nor is he a good blogger - he is; not - until now - is he of independent mind - he certainly has been.

He seems a nice guy and replies to everyone's comment on his blog. I'm sure he will continue to show us how to use exciting gear, and demonstrate the best.

The only question isn't even a reflection on his honesty; but whether - as an Olympus employee - whether they will in any subtle (or not so subtle) way, influence what he says. I shall continue to read him, as I have been doing for 3 years - and he convinced me to buy the EM-5!

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 50 years
www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow