Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cecco
Contributing MemberPosts: 924
Like?
45/1.8, 75/1.8 or 35-100/2.8 accompanying 12-40/2.8
6 months ago

I initially planned to get an 45/1.8 for portraits together with the 12-40/2.8 as the primary lens for landscape, street and architecture.

The 45/1.8 is a bargain, small and highly rated as a portrait lens, but I ask myself, whether the 12-40/2.8 at 40 mm would give almost comparable results. So would I indeed change lenses to get that little bit more of shallow depth or would the 45/1.8 stay in the bag most of the time.

As I don't have any fast lens beyond 40 mm, would the money better be spent in partially financing the 75/1.8? That could double as a portrait lens for outdoor shots and concerts and as bright although not very long zoom. It could tripple as a still reasonable bright 105 mm or 150 mm lens, if MFT teleconverters for this lens would be available but it is probably to vague to buy the 75/1.8 in the hope for a teleconverter to come.

As the 75/1.8 is priced similar to the Panasonic 35-100/2.8, this would be a third option. More versatile but not as bright, not as sharp and slightly heavier.

Many wait for the Olympus 40-150/2.8 but from what I've seen in pictures of preproduction models, size and weight ist probably too much for what I'm willing to carry around even if picture quality will be stellar. I've switch from APS to MFT just for the reason to save on weight.

It is all personal preference but I'd love to hear your opinions.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow