Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ragmanjin
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list
Like?
Re: An alternative?
In reply to juvx, 10 months ago

juvx wrote:

Good afternoon,

I am fairly new to photography and would like to ask for your wise advise on some gear I plan on getting in 2 weeks.

First of all my the subjects i like to shoot are Landscapes, My kids Kids activities (dance) and some street and travel photography.

My budget is 2000-2300$ I'm not looking for a full kit of lenses for that $ but merely to start off with 1 or 2max and build over time. So i'm willing to go as much as 1500-2k $on the body and build the collection of lenses, flashes and tripod from there.

So far iv had the following cameras in the last few months the Sony NEX6 and the Nikon D5100 but iv sold both because i want something better. I really haven't decided if is should go for a Sony A7 or fuji X system or something like the D7100 or Canon 70D. Maybe even a used 600/610 or a 6D. Since i have no lenses i am free to start from scratch.

What would you wise people recommend for me. What would you get on that budget if you had 0 gear?
Thank you so much for your advise.

I don't know if somebody's already suggested it, but the new Pentax K-3 is a top-specced all-arounder with the best set of inconspicuous primes for street photography. Matter of fact I recently ditched three separate systems to consolidate to the Pentax system for several aspects of my photography. Streeting and kids absolutely included.

Aside from being a high-ISO/low-light beast and better weather-sealed than really any other consumer camera (great for moody landscapes in the rain), it's more compact than the D7100 and 70D — though not quite as small as anything from the Fuji system, which is also a very good option for low light work. Though the Fuji is kind of lacking in the bright telephoto range, whereas many Pentax users pick up cheap, high-quality Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses that work a dream.

Plus it's on sale now at B&H for $1300, leaving you a solid grand in your budget for lenses, or it's $1423 kitted with the 18-135 on Amazon.com right now. That'd be a great start, and add this Tamron 70-200 to the kit: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TAMRON-SP-AF70-200mm-F-2-8-Di-LD-IF-Macro-for-PENTAX-Model-A001P-/271382634599?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3f2faa6067&_uhb=1 and you're still within budget with two very workable zooms. That leaves you free to add the aforementioned inconspicuous primes as your budget allows in the future.

Another option would be to go body-only and find a good couple of used "Limited" primes (basically their L-series, but also geared towards being super-compact and high quality). Say, the 35mm Macro and the 70mm f/2.4 for the street stuff. Or a 15 and a 40 if you're more into the wide-angle stuff.

Many, many options, but if you're open to buying used KEH.com is probably a good place to start. I've grown to trust their quality grading system more than other retailers over the years.

Good luck,
Raj.

-- hide signature --

< / sarcasm>

ragmanjin's gear list:ragmanjin's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 Samsung Pro815 Canon PowerShot G11 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow