If you don't want to lug a DSLR

Started Feb 5, 2014 | User reviews thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DER747 New Member • Posts: 2
If you don't want to lug a DSLR

I bought this camera to substitute my 60D when I'm travelling, which is most of the time.

It is as the DPReview test states, a solid camera whose deeper modes and features are easily accessible without having to dive into menus or go searching for elusive buttons. If you want the feel of the Fuji x-1's et al then here's your poor man's version.

It has a viewfinder!!
Not the best or the brightest viewfinder out there, something which hopefully Canon will address in the future incarnations of this model, but a viewfinder nontheless and it's bailed me out numerous times in direct sunlight over my back where the display just couldn't compete. I don't buy cameras without viewfinders.

The image quality is pretty damn good, however fine detail sometimes, in certain instances looks a bit "Garbled" to me. (Moiree?) However for the most part this camera does all I want, in a lot of challenging conditions like low light, high contrast, etc.
I really like it's solidness for its size and weight. Not too light but definitely avoids being a brick.

The battery life is really good. I've shot all day with it and only got down to 2 bars from about 300 photos.

The zoom is a useful, manageable range, and I wouldn't want any more.
I also take this camera on shoots with me when I need a wide angle shot, as I mostly have the 70-300 mounted on the 60D. This is great at sporting events, particularly motorcycle racing, where the G-15 is great in the paddock capturing riders prepping bikes, etc. A great combo.
The added bonus is that I'm not lugging two monstrosities all over the place, looking like a Camera Geek.

It goes everywhere with me.

DER747's gear list:DER747's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +4 more
Canon PowerShot G15
12 megapixels • 3 screen • 28 – 140 mm (5×)
Announced: Sep 17, 2012
DER747's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Canon EOS 60D Canon PowerShot G15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow