Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...
In reply to yray, 10 months ago

yray wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

That comes down to per pixel sharpness though. If the pixels are sharp, it doesn't take very many of them; if the pixels aren't sharp then no matter how many you have it won't help.

Exactly!

I picked the D4 number. Why is 16 MP adequate to a lot of pros? One reason is that it's actually not easy to get more than 12 MP of resolution, you have to get very accurate focus, and you need to use very fast shutter speeds or use a tripod and MLU. In Thom Hogan's D3x review he went into this quite a bit showing how hard it was to meaningfully resolve more than he was getting from the D3.

Absolutely!

These are some of the very good reasons why D800 is too much of a good thing for me. I suspect it is also too much of a good thing for a whole lot of others, whether they admit it or not.

It really comes down to what you shoot and how you shoot it. I suspect that a lot of "big croppers" for instance fall into the category of shooters who don't habitually get very sharp pixels. So, they may not benefit from the extra pixels all that much after all.

Not really, the big advantage of strong cropping is really reach for wildlife or action, it actually saves money on lenses, with an 80-200 2.8 one can still do a lot if crop ability is there.  Just as much as buying a 300 2.8 on a lower MR camera, albeit the additional optical quality of the uber expensive 300 2.8 is another matter.

And, one can move lighter, if that 'reach  via crop' (when needed) is there.

It will not be used all the time, but the availability of the crop is very useful in some instances.

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow