Lens decision help, Tamron 24-70, Nikon 24-85, 24-120, 16-35

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
kormendi_adam
Contributing MemberPosts: 872Gear list
Like?
Here is what I'd do
In reply to Solveik, 7 months ago

I would rule out the 16-35 completely. For what you shoot, it is practically useless (except for e.g. the typical flower tossing shot).

I'd also forget about any variable aperture zoom, because, coming from a 50 and 85 prime, you really won't like the results. Those zooms are anything but portrait lenses, especially indoors.

Now, lets get to the point.

(1) If you have 1 camera body and you need a zoom, stick with the Nikon 24-70. High price but no headache. You might try other options but sooner or later you'll start to regret your choice (I'd also have the 85mm in my pocket, just in case)

(2) If you have 2 camera bodies, and you know how to use them both at the same time, forget about zooms. Use two bodies with two primes (e.g. 85mm and 35mm). Maximux IQ, versatility, freedom, bokeh... you name it. IQ way ahead of ANY zoom ever produced.

Good luck

kormendi_adam's gear list:kormendi_adam's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow