D700 help needed. High ISO concern.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Luke Kaven
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,133
Like?
Re: D700 help needed. High ISO concern. *Samples*
In reply to aldridgec, 7 months ago

aldridgec wrote:

My sense is that the problem has gotten worse as I've owned the camera. I didn't purchase it new, but am pretty picky about image anomalies, and remember pushing the camera pretty hard. I compared some older theatre images and was unable to excite the pattern hardly at all.

The image of the single actor by the dark column was shot at 6400 and I believe I brightened it a little bit as I've had problems with people even "seeing" what I'm talking about in the past. I coughed it up to display differences and didn't want to go down that debate again, but the pattern is certainly there. '

My gut is telling me that he sensor is getting worse, and I should look into having it repaired/replaced. I'm not even sure how to go about explaining the issue to Nikon.

I agree the pattern is definitely there, and I can see it.  It took me a moment, but I saw it.  I know the look from my own experience.  It is also possible that it has gotten worse.

I went down a long road with Nikon on issues with the D3, so I know where they draw the line in service terms.  If it happens at a certified ISO setting (ISO 6400 or lower) -- with no additional brightening -- then they will take a look at it, otherwise not.  Of course we know that the additional brightening helps to /reveal/ the problem.  They do not understand this.  They need to see a straight shot with an obvious problem.  [Don't count on them to do a good critical inspection.  They use stock office PC monitors set arbitrarily.]  If you can get them this telling shot, then they might be able to fix it.

The D3s and D4 are really excellent theater cameras, with no questions asked.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow