Fuji Engineers Weight-In on the "M" Verses "L" File Size Debate ! Locked

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
Orion12
Senior MemberPosts: 1,118Gear list
Fuji Engineers Weight-In on the "M" Verses "L" File Size Debate !
2 months ago

One reason the EXR Sensor M OR L Size is "Better" issue Repeatedly comes up is this Topic Does NOT Have a SIMPLE Resolve. . .
You can find Shooting Situations where M is "Better Detail" and Other Shooting Situations where L is "Better Detail". . .
From Shooting Thousands of BOTH M (8-Mp) Raw Size & L (16-Mp) Raw Size Images - I NOW NORMALLY keep my HS50EXR file size set at 4:3 M (8-Mp) as the Types of Shooting I Do / This USUALLY Gives Me the Best Results. . .

If you do this Shooting Experiment, Your HS50EXR will Teach You WHEN the Fuji Engineers select M OR L File Size. . .
1. Rotate Your Dial to EXR
2. Menu Select EXR Auto
3. Menu Select Image Size = Auto 4:3
4. Menu Select Image Quality = FINE + RAW

For Ease of Tracking Your Results - Suggest - Start with an Empty SD Memory Card. . .
Now Go Around and Shoot a Number of Different Types of Scenes or Objects with DIFFERENT Lighting Levels. . .
In the Display Notice AT SHOT TIME which EXR Mode the Camera is Selecting ( SN HR DR )

You will discover that IF the SN mode is camera selected the File Size will = M Size
                              IF the HR mode is camera selected the File Size will = L Size
                              IF the DR mode is camera selected the File Size will = M Size

General Observation, IF the Lighting Levels are LOWER the "camera" will select SN or DR / M Size
                            IF the Lighting Levels are HIGHER the "Fuji Engineers" will select HR / L Size

The Moral of this Story is the M Size Images tend to handle Shadows & Lower Light Levels "Better"
                                               L Size Images tend to handle Brighter Light Levels              "Better"

"Better" = Greater Overall Image Clarity & Detail

As the Majority of the Subjects I shoot are in Lower Light or have Contrasting Shadow Areas I find that M Size is Most Often the "Best" File Size for ME. . . YOUR Mileage May Vary !

Suggest that YOU Do the Experiment Above for YOURSELF. . . As Always, Be YOUR OWN EXPERT !

Good Shooting & Cheers from OrionĀ 

Orion12's gear list:Orion12's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Pentax K10D +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow