Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dahod
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?
What's up Olympus Canada?? Also, thanks to Fleabag for helping me out
8 months ago

Does anybody know where to get Olympus parts in Canada? I'm looking for a remote cable cap for my E-5.

According to the customer service rep, Canadians can't order Olympus parts from the Olympus parts store - we have to go though a vendor. He suggested a couple of names (Henry's and Blacks) but wasn't sure if they actually stocked parts or could order them for me. I thought he was kidding but sure enough, the Parts link on the Canadian site is broken and the American one doesn't have a Canadian shipping option.

I wondered if maybe the repair depot might be an alternative so I emailed Trinitek (Olympus closed their Canadian repair depot in Waterloo, Ontario last year and replaced it with Trinitek Electronics Inc in Mississauga) - so far I haven't heard anything yet - not reassuring.

You might say, not a problem - use Ebay, it's cheaper. That's true and I've seen this cap before at a good price but today there's only one and it's $17 + $8 shipping - not cheaper and besides that, it's the principal. The fact is that these caps get lost - who hasn't lost their remote cable cap (or their hot shoe cover etc)? Lots have if you look at all the threads. Why would Olympus elect to make it so difficult to replace them here in Canada?  If there was a strong, identified vendor support network then maybe I could understand it but there isn't and the rep struggled to give me a source, particularly here in Alberta. Maybe one of you have a source and you can point me to it.

In any event, at one time I thought Olympus had a deep commitment to service. Maybe I'm wrong but I get the sense that this is changing - here in Canada anyway.

While I'm sorting this out, I'd like to say thanks to Ned (Fleabag) for providing a DIY fix. I found an old post of his from 2008 referencing a plastic screw cover from the hardware store that he modified. The link was broken but he graciously sent it again (see below).  Thanks Ned.

While I enjoy DIY, it's disappointing that Olympus can't support their cameras better here in Canada.

Dave

Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow