Are there any serious users of MF lenses on this forum?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Dave Sanders
Contributing MemberPosts: 952Gear list
Like?
I hear ya Tom, I hear ya.
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 10 months ago

I hear ya Tom. I've really taken to using legacy glass on my Oly's...first my E-M5 and now my E-M1. I've had the 14, 20, 25, 45 and 75 and even with all of those, I still love using strange old MF lenses. It has nothing to do with absolute image quality and much more to do with personal enjoyment...I mean, it's a hobby, so that's what it's all about. I also find I get some very cool pictoral results. I've got adapters for m42, OM, Canon FD, Nikon F, Minolta and C/Y.

But MF can be fun and Panasonic has tossed in a reasonable focus peaking system in the GM1 at least and not being "into" Olympus I presume that there is one in current use there as well.

I use the E-M1 and it is great for legacy glass. Peaking and magnification make it a snap, especially since they can so easily be assigned to custom function buttons.

Focus peaking just increases the fun of using MF lenses. But it is not for everyone.

I find peaking effective enough that I don't even need to use magnification that often. I actually like to set my lenses at MFD or close to it, flip the screen out and then just move my camera back and forth until I see what I want outlined and in focus. Works brilliantly and is a ton of fun.

I would like to get some feedback from those who use MF lenses, what types, and what adapters and techniques they use. Also if they are using any of the new Focal reducer adapters that are appearing on the market for M4/3 mount.

I haven't tried any of the Metabones Speed Boosters yet...the $400 price tag defeats the purpose for me. I use some cheap ebay adapters which I've found to be great, especially given the price.

As for lenses, I have a few that I really enjoy. The Nikon 50/2 Ai-s is a very nice lens that can be had for cheap and the Olympus OM 50/3.5 macro is a real gem. It's very small, sharp and goes to 1:2. That said, my current favourite is actually an old East German Pentacon 50/1.8 that I bought with a camera for $25. It has a nice short MFD of 0.33m and produces some cool close-up photos...which is good because it's not great at infinity.  It has quite a 'glow' wide open and softens skin tones nicely. I really like it at f/2.8.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow