Are there any serious users of MF lenses on this forum?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,153
Like?
Re: Are there any serious users of MF lenses on this forum?
In reply to norman shearer, 7 months ago

norman shearer wrote:

I use MF more than I do AF. My fondness for legacy glass began with the Canon 5D. I was wanting a good wide-angle for landscape shooting and the Canon offerings were either uber expensive or rather underwhelming. So I bought an Olympus Zuiko 21mm F2. Then a Carl Zeiss Jenna 135mm and a Helios 44M-2. So the love affair with legacy glass began.

My legacy collection was a little limited because of the flange distance ruling out so many good and cheap lenses. That was my main reason for buying a Panasonic Lumix G1. Truth be told I often used legacy glass when better native lenses sat at home (like the 14-45 zoom and the Pany 20mm pancake).

Then I heard about focus peaking and the smaller crop factor of APS-C and got a Sony 5N. Loved that sensor and immediately flogged my GH2. Never used an AF lens with that camera until the 19mm and 30mm Sigmas appeared. Not impressed by Sony 5N AF so even MF the Sigmas! I've since bought lots of legacy lenses but my growing collection of Konica Hexanon glass stands out in particular. Mostly bought from Ebay though I have snagged a few good lenses from carboots, like the Carl Zeiss Flektagon 35mm F2.4 (£10).

Got a Pentax K01 which now has an early SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 lens that practically lives on that body.

Missed m43 though so got back in with GF3, then E-PL5 and now a GX7. I like the m43 sensor dof for shooting street so it's normally native lenses I use now. Despite the great AF I generally zone focus. I expect I'll slap on some legacy glass for portraiture and birding.

I've always bought cheap adapters from Ebay and they have generally been fine. Only issue I've had is with Canon FD adapters. One got stuck to a lens. Another 2 were problematic getting the aperture to work correctly.

I am tempted by the Sony A7 but can wait till the price drops or for version 2 to arrive. Both my Canon 5D and Sony 5N have depreciated so much in value now that I'll probably never sell them on. This means I'll not replace them with anything but a body that is significantly better.

Thanks Norman it says it all.  Don't get locked in but follow the mind's fancy.  I don't think I am far off a similar path.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow