Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,764
Like?
Re: Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...
In reply to jfriend00, 6 months ago

jfriend00 wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

What is the difference between 12 MP and 16 MP? How often do you get everything a 12 MP sensor has to offer?

If you end up cropping a significant amount (which I sometimes do in action photos either because I was reach starved or because I just decide after the fact that I want to isolate the subject in the shot more than when I captured it), having more than 12MP can be pretty useful either to support printing a cropped image larger or retaining detail after cropping.

That comes down to per pixel sharpness though. If the pixels are sharp, it doesn't take very many of them; if the pixels aren't sharp then no matter how many you have it won't help.

It's not hard to end up with 7-8MP with a little cropping of a 12MP image (it happens to me all the time in sports as it becomes clearer in post exactly how you want the image framed). Are you arguing that one can't capture more detail if you make a good capture and you start with more pixels? That's all I'm saying. It isn't god's gift to instant great images, but a few more pixels can help in some circumstances.

Well here's my thinking about that. Yes, it can help. I would have been perfectly happy to see a D400 using the upgraded CAM3500 and a well-tuned 16 MP sensor. There, Nikon could have done that two years ago, easy. Why this hasn't happened is an ongoing discussion here, only now we've moved the bar to 24 MP -- next up will be some other higher end requirement, and we'll just always be waiting for a camera that never comes.

I already own the telephotos I need. I'd be buying something shorter if I bought anything. For DX, Sigma's 18-35 f/1.8 is getting stellar reviews and I think they're onto something with high quality lenses with changeable mounts.

That lens is on the list of interchangeable mounts.

Yes, that was my point.

It won't do you much good if you are going to FX/135 format.

If they keep going with this, I think they're going to capture a meaningful share of the enthusiast lens market (not pro, but more discriminating buyer) both because of offering very good quality at lower prices and because of the mount flexibility so you aren't as locked in as previously.

I still would like to know the price though. Keep in mind that Nikon and Canon are large markets, so it's relatively easy to buy and sell lenses within those mounts, Pentax on the other hand is probably quite a bit harder.

Used lens shopping is hard and not for the faint of heart. Unless you can shoot with it locally before buying or pay a little more to buy from an outfit like KEH that rates them and lets you return anything, it's really hard to know what you're getting and feel like you're making a "safe" purchase. I'm not saying you can't find good deals, but it's not a simple process and you can get burned.

Selling is easy, buying should be done with caution. Yes, KEH is a good choice here, as is Adorama.

Yeah, buying used lenses isn't easy.

One challenge with buying through KEH is it can take a long time to wait for what you're looking for. I've never ever seen a used D3s

There's two D3s cameras there right now, I just looked earlier when researching my previous reply to you.

or used D4 or 200-400 at KEH. I'm sure some have been sold on KEH, but these items seem to be mostly moving through other venues (where an intermediary isn't taking some of the sales price).

Good seller reviews at eBay with adequate precautions are probably the route here, or just bite the bullet and buy it new.  High end lenses sell for about 90% of what they cost new, so the amortized cost of owning them is not that bad if you keep them for a few years and take good care of them and save the original package.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow