Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,808
Like?
Re: Your camera's a tool, not a jewel.
In reply to abelits, 7 months ago

abelits wrote:

Aberaeron wrote:

While I agree with most of that comment, I think you misunderstand the latest craze for 'retro' cameras. They don't generally skimp on the latest technology within these cameras. The 'retro' part is almost entirely in reference to the camera style and the personal image that the aspiring owner wishes to portray of themselves. These retro cameras are no less sophisticated than their 'conventional' counterparts for the most part, yet they ignore the latest interfaces that have made modern cameras more convenient to use, preferring to fit multiple and confusing, sometimes unergonomic physical dials instead of, or in some combination with software adjustments.

This is not necessarily true. Fujifilm made "retro" X-Pro1 with conveniently placed manual exposure controls that are more convenient than menu-diving of "modern" cameras, and in the new generation of those series added split-image focusing based on manual focusing aid present in old film SLRs and implemented as a part of phase-detection focusing similar to modern DSLRs (as opposed to magnifier-and-peaking of the original X-Pro1/X-E1). Those are genuine advantages. On the other hand, video recording is blatantly half-assed in the whole series.

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind. OTH I agree with you on technology helping to catch the decisive instant that otherwise might be lost.

Fuji chose a clever in between, stating intent of imitating Leica, where the triangle of exposure is apparent on the body.

Note that I don't have a Fuji. I have an Olympus, which is excellent but has one of the most long winded series of menus of the Industry. Many of them I will never use and they clog visually the LCD. Instead I could do v. well with the Fuji simplification.

More generally I prefer the camera as a tool, than as a jewel. If say half of the public is a collector instead of a photog. I can cope with that, but I still need a tool which is more streamlined.

A way out of this problem might be to feed the camera from a laptop only the functions you need, while providing as a base the triangle of exposure in physical dials.

I am not a luddite. I would probably choose to have auto HDR, which Fuji  provides, I think, and auto Time Lapse, which only technology provides.

I would instead avoid the 'Spray and Pray' functions as dangerous to photography. It is subjective I know, and people would load functions according to their favourite genre, instead of accumulating help for all possible ones.

This however is a reasonable proposal for a tool and not for a jewel. What sense does it make for a collector to have all possible functions he will never use? And yet companies cash on that, making thing more difficult for photogs. who need short reaction times.

Until you come to the paradox of Leica, who probably has the maximum quota of collectors/photogs, and yet it is still v. much used by the latter as a tool.

A paradox worth considering.

Am.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow