Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,105
Like?
Re: Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...
In reply to Tony Beach, 5 months ago

Tony Beach wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

What is the difference between 12 MP and 16 MP? How often do you get everything a 12 MP sensor has to offer?

If you end up cropping a significant amount (which I sometimes do in action photos either because I was reach starved or because I just decide after the fact that I want to isolate the subject in the shot more than when I captured it), having more than 12MP can be pretty useful either to support printing a cropped image larger or retaining detail after cropping.

That comes down to per pixel sharpness though. If the pixels are sharp, it doesn't take very many of them; if the pixels aren't sharp then no matter how many you have it won't help.

It's not hard to end up with 7-8MP with a little cropping of a 12MP image (it happens to me all the time in sports as it becomes clearer in post exactly how you want the image framed). Are you arguing that one can't capture more detail if you make a good capture and you start with more pixels? That's all I'm saying. It isn't god's gift to instant great images, but a few more pixels can help in some circumstances.

I'd actually like 24MP as it seems a good spot to be that isn't so large that it bothers the workflow a lot, but is enough of a bump that it helps sometimes. I offered a range of 16-24 to be more flexible. You picked on the low of the range.

I picked the D4 number. Why is 16 MP adequate to a lot of pros? One reason is that it's actually not easy to get more than 12 MP of resolution, you have to get very accurate focus, and you need to use very fast shutter speeds or use a tripod and MLU. In Thom Hogan's D3x review he went into this quite a bit showing how hard it was to meaningfully resolve more than he was getting from the D3.

Actually, I don't know how many pixels Nikon would have wanted the D4 to have if they had no constraints, but I'm pretty sure that 16MP was the most pixels they could do 11fps with using EXPEED 3 and the type of read-out circuitry and input into the EXPEED chip that they needed to use for other reasons. At the time, they may well have thought that 24MP was more than some photo-journalist pros wanted at the time too. I think that sentiment has probably changed now and I would expect the D5 to be 24MP in a few years.

If I buy a new lens in the next year, it would either be a Sigma with a changeable mount

I only see one such telephoto lens, the 120-300/2.8, and it's a little bit underwhelming.

I already own the telephotos I need. I'd be buying something shorter if I bought anything. For DX, Sigma's 18-35 f/1.8 is getting stellar reviews and I think they're onto something with high quality lenses with changeable mounts.

That lens is on the list of interchangeable mounts.

Yes, that was my point.

If they keep going with this, I think they're going to capture a meaningful share of the enthusiast lens market (not pro, but more discriminating buyer) both because of offering very good quality at lower prices and because of the mount flexibility so you aren't as locked in as previously.

I still would like to know the price though. Keep in mind that Nikon and Canon are large markets, so it's relatively easy to buy and sell lenses within those mounts, Pentax on the other hand is probably quite a bit harder.

or a used lens that I don't think would depreciate much if I had to sell it.

Not sure how much it would cost to have the mount changed, but I would just go for a good used Nikkor right now.

Used lens shopping is hard and not for the faint of heart. Unless you can shoot with it locally before buying or pay a little more to buy from an outfit like KEH that rates them and lets you return anything, it's really hard to know what you're getting and feel like you're making a "safe" purchase. I'm not saying you can't find good deals, but it's not a simple process and you can get burned.

Selling is easy, buying should be done with caution. Yes, KEH is a good choice here, as is Adorama.

Yeah, buying used lenses isn't easy.

One challenge with buying through KEH is it can take a long time to wait for what you're looking for. I've never ever seen a used D3s or used D4 or 200-400 at KEH. I'm sure some have been sold on KEH, but these items seem to be mostly moving through other venues (where an intermediary isn't taking some of the sales price).

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow