Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,114
Like?
Re: Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...
In reply to Tony Beach, 7 months ago

Tony Beach wrote:

What is the difference between 12 MP and 16 MP? How often do you get everything a 12 MP sensor has to offer?

If you end up cropping a significant amount (which I sometimes do in action photos either because I was reach starved or because I just decide after the fact that I want to isolate the subject in the shot more than when I captured it), having more than 12MP can be pretty useful either to support printing a cropped image larger or retaining detail after cropping. I'd actually like 24MP as it seems a good spot to be that isn't so large that it bothers the workflow a lot, but is enough of a bump that it helps sometimes.  I offered a range of 16-24 to be more flexible.  You picked on the low of the range.

If I buy a new lens in the next year, it would either be a Sigma with a changeable mount

I only see one such telephoto lens, the 120-300/2.8, and it's a little bit underwhelming.

I already own the telephotos I need.  I'd be buying something shorter if I bought anything.  For DX, Sigma's 18-35 f/1.8 is getting stellar reviews and I think they're onto something with high quality lenses with changeable mounts.  If they keep going with this, I think they're going to capture a meaningful share of the enthusiast lens market (not pro, but more discriminating buyer) both because of offering very good quality at lower prices and because of the mount flexibility so you aren't as locked in as previously.

or a used lens that I don't think would depreciate much if I had to sell it.

Not sure how much it would cost to have the mount changed, but I would just go for a good used Nikkor right now.

Used lens shopping is hard and not for the faint of heart. Unless you can shoot with it locally before buying or pay a little more to buy from an outfit like KEH that rates them and lets you return anything, it's really hard to know what you're getting and feel like you're making a "safe" purchase.  I'm not saying you can't find good deals, but it's not a simple process and you can get burned.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow