Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,116
Like?
Re: now if nikon can provide sraw
In reply to Devendra, 8 months ago

Devendra wrote:

Well Nikon can provide sraw along with higher fps with D800/E to meet your needs. I am not sure if they will. As far as its af is concerned it is top notch.
So instead of asking Nikon for another body, people can start demanding a 'paid' firmware upgrade to give higher fps n smaller images, even tho free will be better!
Which would you rather chose?

One answer to the D800 vs. D700 speed upgrade issue would be to come out with a D800s or D810 that could do 6fps at 36MP and 8fps in an 18-24MP sRAW-like format (still using the full sensor capture though, not a crop mode). Then you could kind of have your cake and eat it too. I don't think this can be done with a firmware upgrade to the D800 though because I doubt the D800 mirror can go 8fps and I don't think the EXPEED 3 knows how to do an sRAW-like format (which probably requires hardware support to achieve 8fps).

I have long believed that we're reached the point with the D800 where it's simply more resolution than is desired for some uses and the best way for Nikon to deal with that is to continue to advance the resolution, but to offer RAW-like reduced resolution captures from the full sensor (sRAW-like done right).  Then, you could truly have your cake and eat it too with a camera that does ultra high resolution for landscape, but can also go fast at a lower resolution for the action photographer who's workflow and fps is negatively impacted by very high resolution captures. Offering this capability could allow a single camera to serve a wider variety of needs.

I'd probably buy a D810 that could produce 16-24MP at 8fps (full sensor capture, RAW-like capture, not crop mode, not JPEG) and could also do 36MP (or higher) at 4-6 fps.  That would be a killer camera.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow