Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,812
Like?
Re: Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...
In reply to jfriend00, 7 months ago

jfriend00 wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

Here's the thing though, except for fps (again, when using the MB-D10 and appropriate batteries) you can get more out of the D800 than the D700 using the D800 in exactly the same way as the D700 (more DR, more resolution, better high ISO performance, more viewfinder coverage, dual memory card slots, etc.). As for the larger file sizes, well that's just a fact of life now, even the D600, D7000, and D7100 have larger file sizes than the D700 -- nobody is going back to 12 MP.

When you say "except for fps", do you realize you're saying "except when you want to shoot serious action". The D800 is, plain and simple, not a great camera for shooting serious action.

I used to do quite well with the D200.

And, that is the main audience that is still shooting with a D700 and clamoring for an actual D700 upgrade. In FX, Nikon has NOTHING that is even 6fps with the good AF for less than $6000, much less the 8fps of the D700+grip. That's a set of action shooters that are going to go elsewhere over time. Right now, a lot of them are either still shooting with the D700 or buying used D3 or D3s bodies, but that won't last forever (I'm probably going to buy a D3s myself).

Feels like I'm in the wrong forum here. Anyway, reading your post here what I get is that Nikon has time to keep those getting all worked up over a couple of fps. The D3 now costs less than a new D700 cost when it came out, so that's an upgrade right there, the D3s will not be too far behind. The 5DIII costs $3400 (USD), so you are paying $600 more for it than for the D800 to get 1 fps (D800 1.2x crop mode compared to 5DIII full frame).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow