Are there any serious users of MF lenses on this forum?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,030Gear list
Like?
Re: Are there any serious users of MF lenses on this forum?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 5 months ago

With all the crying about the need for focus peaking, you might think a lot of people use manual focus lenses. Sure cannot see much need for manual focus on the AF lenses on the latest cameras, not when we can touch the screen and have the camera focus on that spot.

I have too many old lenses, some from long ago, some I sought out, and others I bought because they were cheap ($5 or less). I'll often bring my FD 85mm f1.8 or a 135 mm when an extra stop or two over my 40-150 zoom is needed. For videos with variable light,  being able to change aperture on a legacy 50mm while watching the screen is often an advantage over the Oly 45mm when the meter gets fooled. Legacy 50's are also just as sharp stopped down for stills too, and their softness wide open can help with some portraits.

On the other hand. I find the 14-42 kit lens better than my 28's and 35's with their obsolete coatings. I haven't spent any money on anything wider as the P14, P20 and O17 are superior. Can't forget the Samsung 7.5 either. Is there a legacy lens that is as good with this kind of value.

In any case, when I feel up to carrying a bag and am going out to play at amateur photography, I'll put in one MF lens, just one so I can remember what it was, and have some fun with it, even if it is a crummy old zoom, because it's fun to try to make a nice shot with the old stuff.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow