Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,764
Like?
Re: Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions... D700 replacement?
In reply to Bajerunner, 6 months ago

Bajerunner wrote:

...my opinion is that the 5DIII is more, in terms of APPLICATION, of a D700 replacement, in that I am not sure that many would use the D800 as a general camera INCLUDING fast low light sports, aka the D700 as an alternate to the D3. If I had it, I would work it, but I think it may not be the ideal.

Again, we are talking about 1.2x crop at 5 fps and 25 MP versus full frame at 6 fps and 22 MP.  This is a rather small difference in the real world.

However, with its suitable file sizes, the fps, the AF, the 5DIII seems to be very versatile including for low light sports.

See above about the file sizes, and the D800 is no slouch when it comes to AF (comparable to the D4 in that regard).  The D800 does better than the 5DIII at DR and high ISO performance using its full frame, and using 1.2x crop it holds its own.  Regardless of whether it's full frame or 1.2x crop mode, both cameras are very close.  At lower ISOs (and many sports are not lowlight, which is after all the kind of sports we generally use Pro DX cameras for) the D800 has significantly more DR than the 5DIII even in 1.2x crop mode.

A friend of mine actually prefers his 5DIII over his 1DIV for sports, including inside gymnasiums, and that goes for the AF also. He is an amateur too.

So from that viewpoint I see the 5DIII as the D700 replacement, moreso than the D800.

Make sense, or no?

No because you are talking about switching systems to gain a different AF system, a 20% larger frame, and 1 fps.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow