Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,736
Like?
Re: Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...
In reply to fishywisht, 5 months ago

fishywisht wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

I do think there's a pattern here, and it has to do with being competitive. The D700 came out to compete with the 5D/5DII because the D3 was too expensive for many who would then choose the Canon option. The same reasoning is behind the D800 which competes against the 5DIII and A99; there is no more need for a D700 successor in Nikon's lineup because it is bracketed by the D610 and D800.

5D III & D800 were released a month apart.

Yeah, so what?  5DII had more megapixels and had been out for some time, as was the A900/A850.  You don't think the writing about more megapixels and video was already on the wall?

The Canon ended up substantially more versatile with 6fps & its focus system.

I disagree.  "Substantial" suggests a lot, on the D800 the 1.2x crop is 5 fps at 25 MP versus the 5DIII  full frame at 6 fps at 22 MP, that's not that substantial in my book.

Some D800 cameras had a left side focusing issue but many didn't, and the CAM3500 is a very good AF system so that's like saying the D4 AF system is not as "versatile" as the 5DIII AF system.  There are trade-offs between them, but I don't see it as a substantial difference in favor of Canon here.

In that they were probably spurred on by the D700.

Well, in this forum we hope these companies spur each other on when it comes to the D400 and 7D.

Funny because Nikon themselves decided not to approach pro-spec with anything less but their most expensive camera anymore.

That's ridiculous.  The D800 exceeds "pro-spec" in a couple of significant ways over any other camera at any other price -- it had the most DR and still has the most resolution of any DSLR on the market.  The D800 has all of the specifications we want in a D400 except for fps, and the D800 soundly beats the D700 at high ISO as well.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow