DP Review: Readers Choice Award EM-1 or GM1?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
micronean
Regular MemberPosts: 296Gear list
Like?
Re: The GM1 had just come out
In reply to safaridon, 5 months ago

safaridon wrote:

micronean wrote:

Mike Ronesia wrote:

Tell me again what makes the Oly so impressive, I forgot.

-- hide signature --

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

It's not that the E-M1 is some super revolutionary camera that fell out of the sky. It's more like every detail that it has, has been done right.

#1 the body: it's more rugged, more comfortable, more weather resistant, and it's still light and co

The topic was comparison of the EM1 and GM1 not comparison with DSLRs.

#1 "the body: its's more rugged, more comfortable, more weather resistant, and it's still light and compact"

Well both bodies are built of magnesium alloy (GM1 has strong aluminum alloy top & botton) and I wouldn't stand on top of an EM1 as one can with GM1. I wouldn't call a hinged rear LCD more rugged than a fixed LCD. A lighter more compact body can withstand accidental drops better. A projecting EVF and longer lens on EM1 makes it more vulnerable requiring greater protection. Also isn't the GM1 about 1/3 rd the weight and size of the EM1 with kit lens?

Actually I think they make a perfect pair each complimenting the other.

The GM1 is certainly a jewel of a camera, and for people who prioritize a small form-factor it is a no-brainer. Though, as a camera that is capable of all sorts of photographic applications, it falls short of the E-M1.

I guess, what I'm trying to say, is that the GM1 is the best..."supplementary" camera of 2013....

micronean's gear list:micronean's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow