Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
azazel1024
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094Gear list
Like?
Re: Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1
In reply to mijokijo, 8 months ago

mijokijo wrote:

I think it's fair to be skeptical for the reasons you give. However, he hasn't corrected any of the CA that is clearly present in some of his photos. My feeling is that even if he did edit some of the photos, the end results should be easily accomplished by others. It's fair to say that if you are skeptical, that you can also be optimistic.

I'm actually really interested in the fish eye body cap lens after seeing the photos from his friend. For $100, it looks like it could be fun.

Me to. A cheap, tiny and pretty much weightless addition to my pack for a fun UWA lens? Sign me up. I am curious to see some more samples and a bit more testing. It seems like it is probably up to snuff image quality wise, as it appears sharper than the 15mm BLC, but unsure with the samples from Robin's friend.

I'd at least like something that could stand up to 8x10 treatment uncropped and uncorrected and look good.

My thoughts on the 25/1.8 review, my only "issue" is that he mentions its a much better choice because the 25/1.4 is basically twice as much. That appears to only be the case in a couple of markets (possibly Malaysia where Robin is based). At least in the US and Europe and possibly Japan as well, that isn't the case at all. In the US it can be had, regularly, for only 25% more ($500 versus $400) and actually, I managed to snag mine, new, about a year or so ago on a sale for around $475...which makes it less than a 20% extra "hit". He mentions the 25/1.4 has some focusing issues, but I've never seen any with mine that weren't obvious target selection issues (IE the CAMERA focused on the far target, because the focus box overlapped).

It seems a very nice lens indeed, but it seems like it would be an EXCELLENT lens for $299 (or less), it only seems okay for a $399 when the competition is only a bit of more dear, but with 2/3rds of stop advantage and, at least in the only resolution test I've seen, at least slightly higher resolution with great contrast, flare resistance and bokeh.

The 25/1.8 really just seems to have the advantage in being somewhat smaller and lighter (and not hugely so) and slightly cheaper.

IF I did not have a 25mm lens already, it might be a contender, especially if I could get a grey market copy for cheaper or get it on sale for $300-350, but since I already have the 25/1.4, there is nothing that makes me consider getting one. If it had been in the $299 range, and I could snag one on sale at some point for another $50 or so off, it might make a nice 2nd standard prime for times when I want an ultra light kit, or to slap on a 2nd body as a "lens cap", but not at the price its at.

-- hide signature --

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow