Where have all the Focal-reducers gone? (with apologies)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Where have all the Focal-reducers gone? (with apologies)
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 7 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

To me, personally, the SB advantage is in getting that wider FOV along with some of that shallower DOF. As long as there is ample sharpness under those conditions in the thirds, it will meet its purpose. The added benefit is faster shutter speed (may not be much pronounced wide open).

Can't speak for LT but SB seems to be pretty good outside the center, or so the prelim tests with a few lenses show. It has already turned my cheap old Minolta 35-70/4 (a very good lens wide open) into what appears to be a pretty good 25-50/2.8 kit zoom for NEX. The combination with the adapter weighs only about 800g and is quite small. I can always carry 20/2.8 pancake for landscape use.

But its real companion will be Sony 135/2.8 STF and it appears to be a fine combination. I have long wished that Sony made an 85 or 100mm version of the STF, and with SB, I get 95mm/2. I hope to put it to use soon, weather permitting.

I am not arguing with nobody, but I am curios in what way 135F2.8, converted to 90mmF2 with the SB or LT could be better than Minolta Rokkor 85F1.7 or Canon FD85F1.8 + simple adapter to NEX.

What I know about the 85F1.7, or Canon FD85F1.8:
- they are very sharp between F2.8 and F8, corner to corner on APS-C
- they are OK form F2, and have very smooth bokeh, making them ideal for portraits.
- they outresolve NEX-7's sensor between F2.8 and F8, corner to corner , so the resolution, definition, etc. is maximal, it can not be better... than all the clear 24.000.000 px. of NEX-7.

Obviously, the comparison is valid for other pairs of lenses with SB / LT vs simple adaptor, ex: 55F1.2 vs 85F1.8 on SB/LT, or 135F2.8 vs 200F4 on SB/LT

5nex7's gear list:5nex7's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +54 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow