Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JolieO
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,704
Like?
My Short-Eared Owl(s)
10 months ago

I have sort of claimed them as mine and there are at least two.

Since I posted this flight shot in December I have been chasing these owls which isn't really very difficult since they are very reliable and have stayed in the same area.  The problem is not finding them or even getting close but to have enough light to shoot.  On overcast days they come out in the late afternoon and I have some good close stationary shots but with that white winter sky in the background.  Yesterday I was lucky and found one perched with enough light and a nice yellow field behind.  I drove up right across the road from him/her (15 or 20 ft I would guess) and just fired away from my bean bag in the car window.  I think they are kind of used to me since I go out to watch them even if there is not enough light to shoot.  They are quite amazing as they fly the road ditches with their rather moth-like tilting flight.  Sometimes I fear for them because they prefer the mowed ditches of the highway to the wilder ones of the safer gravel roads.

In any event, here are a few of my shots from yesterday, using the D7100 and 80-400mm lens:

Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Jolene

-- hide signature --
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
FredNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow