Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,736
Like?
Re: Thom on Nikon's unanswered questions...
In reply to yray, 5 months ago

yray wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

Will there be a D700 successor? No.

Well, in my book D700 may remain its own successor for the foreseeable future. Unless you need lots of pixels and extreme DR for low ISO landscape shooting, D700 still does it all. Still the most versatile of cameras, that you have to pay multiples of the current used prices to get ever so slight improvement over.

It's a discussion for another forum really, but Thom actually called the D800 the D700 successor and told Nikon users to "get over it," so I see a bit of a contradiction from Thom about this in his latest article. You can reverse what you said about what you need or don't need in the D700 or D800 and point out that the only thing the D700 does better than the D800 is fps (if you want to shoot full frame instead of 1.2x or DX crop modes, and if you put the MB-D10 on it with appropriate batteries).  Also, I wouldn't characterize 70% more resolution as "ever so slight."

What Thom was saying is that Nikon keeps changing how they make the latest sensor available at a lower cost. With the D3 they brought out the D700, with the D3s they didn't bring out anything, and with the D4 they now have the Df. There's no continuity there, and that's the crux of the discussion; not whether or not buying a used camera is a better deal than buying a new camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow