Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
photofan1986
Senior MemberPosts: 2,185Gear list
Like?
Re: Too expensive
In reply to technic, 5 months ago

technic wrote:

Kirk Tuck wrote:

Yeah. Sure. It's almost as expensive as the Otus 50mm lens for DSLRs......(sarcasm).

-- hide signature --

Austin based advertising and portrait photographer, and author of the book series, Minimalist Lighting, and the books: Commercial Photographers Handbook, Photographic Lighting Equipment, and, LED Lighting for Digital Photographers. www.kirktuck.com

Canon EF 1.8/50mm costs about EUR 80 (GBP 75?) and is an excellent lens when stopped down to f/2.8-4. Maybe the Olympus is a little bit better wide open and probably it has higher mechanical quality - however the Canon has better DOF control (m43 equiv. would be f/0.9 25mm).

definitely expensive.

The Canon 50 1.8 is decent glass in a terrible package. Flimsy construction and absolutely terrible autofocus performance. It was my most frustrating lens experience ever.

The Oly seems MUCH better wide open, plus it has better built quality, and about perfect autofocus performance. While I agree it's still too expensive, I don't like to compare it to a lens ersatz like the 50 1.8.

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow