Flat view
kkcy
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
EM10 vs EM1
10 months ago

Hi all,

First post here, long time lurker

I'm looking to get into the micro4/3 line, and the new EM10 really shakes things up. Based on what's known about the EM10 and EM1, what would justify the 2x cost of the EM1? From what I understand, the main differences are

1. 3-axis vs 5-axis
  2. Size and ergonomics
  3. Built-in flash vs no flash
  4. Non-weatherproof vs weatherproof

Am I right to say that in terms of image quality (eg high ISO) there is no difference between the 2? I read something about EM10 not having phase detect AF, but how that will only benefit if I'm using legacy 4/3 lenses?

Also, in terms of lenses, would the handling of the 12-40mm on the EM10 be awkward? If I went with EM1, I would probably go with the 12-40mm zoom. But with the EM10, I'm looking to get the 12-42mm pancake zoom, Oly 17mm f.18, Oly 45mm f.18. That would give me a more compact system for traveling with, yet primes when I need it for specific situations, and in the process save about $500.

I would get the 40-150 for both set ups, just when I need some extra reach.

My usage would be general travel, landscape, landscape astro mainly.

tl;dr?

Either

1)EM1 with 12-40mm and 40-150mm ($2600)

or

2)EM10 with 12-42mm pancake zoom, 17mm f1.8, 45mm f1.8, 40-150mm ($2100).

Thanks!

Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow